Sunday, September 12, 2010

DO LOOKS REALLY MATTER?

I’ve often asked myself this question. Do looks really matter? Well of course they do! Even to the most un-superficial person at the end of the day you have to be able to look at the person across from you and not be repulsed by the image starring back. Well I mean that’s really all there is to say about it isn’t it? I guess the question could be posed; why are we like that?

I don’t have any factual data to support my argument only that I’ve been human for about 35 years now and I’ve observed our nature and the way we respond to things. For the most part we’ve been told what to like by the media and by the people in our lives including friends and family. There is even a scientific formula that tells us what’s beautiful. Isn’t that insane? I mean what happened to the “eye of the beholder”? Needless to say that we are greatly influenced by society and well since we all live on this planet together I don’t think there will be any escaping that. Just sitting here postulating though I wonder how much of what we as individuals find attractive is chemical. I did watch this show once that said that we are attracted to people greatly in part based on chemistry. I’m talking real body chemistry, a certain smell or chemical that is radiating from our person. I guess that would be called pheromones.

Well at the end of the day what ever it is that draws us to one another I can’t help but think that we still have a great deal of control over who we fall in love with or like. That part is completely and totally at our discretion.

No comments:

Post a Comment