Sunday, September 5, 2010

A RIGHT TO BE WRONG

In recent news, there has been a great debate on the construction of a Mosque at ground zero. Initially, I didn’t think very much of it because I just don’t follow politics or a lot of religious news. Finally, I’ve taken some time to look over what the controversy is about and have formed my own opinion about it.


We’ve worked very hard as a country to establish laws that protect our freedoms and rights. With that said, of course we have the right as American citizens to voice our opinion about what goes on in our cities and towns, that’s the American way, right? We have the right to build our churches our business etc, etc as long as they are law abiding and lawful establishments, right? Well at the end of the day the government can’t tell someone where to put a church if it’s legal and can lawfully be where it is proposed no matter the significance of what religion is being practiced there. That’s standard First Amendment baby!

Really, what is this all about anyway? We are still morning the deaths and losses of loved ones in the attack of the World Trade Centers. I mean who doesn’t get that? Lives were lost in the most vicious of ways and we still want to honor and respect that. However, we need to also practice what I’ve been preaching about and that is forgiveness. I would be a fool to sit here and say that there has been enough time to heal and to overcome the losses we’ve suffered in the World Trade Center tragedy. But, now is the time to start collecting ourselves and acknowledging that life does go on and we cannot stop progression because of grief.

Is it wrong to build a mosque at ground zero? I’m going to say no. Is it possibly insensitive to the family’s who lost people there? I’m going to say yes. Can I say that I could hold a conversation and be civil to the young man who beat me up and tried to steal my tennis shoes in junior high school? Yes! Why? Because I can’t hold on to the past like that and what someone did to me yesterday was yesterday. Do I remember yes, vividly! But I forgave him.. We should all forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment